Increase Your Professional Networking IQ And Unlock Career Opportunities

eDevMan
  • Total Posts : 67
  • Scores: 3
  • Reward points : 0
Increase Your Professional Networking IQ And Unlock Career Opportunities - Saturday, April 20, 2013 6:14 PM
At a recent social gathering I spoke with a corporate attorney who proposed a question to me that went something like this, “How relevant are social networks and do you see them as a generational phenomena?” The attorney also expressed, “Once I register an account with one of these sites and add a profile, I have no idea what to do next and who cares what I say or do?” 

The short answer to the last question is, “Someone does care what you say or do”. Online social networks helped to elect America’s first Black President. In the Middle East, social networking caused old government power hubs to crumble and to become replaced by new ones. Organizations use online networks to raise millions of dollars for political and non-profit causes. Businesses have found innovative ways to use these sites to promote their organization’s goodwill and to connect with their customers and employees. In short, social networks help to connect us in many powerful ways. 
Today’s online networking sites can provide many benefits to professionals and businesses. Networking sites help members meet professionals, connect online, strengthen relationships, share information, find work, move careers ahead and hopefully make more informed choices. In essence, social and professional networks strengthen a democracy and expand the voices of members.

Despite the power of social networks and their availability, there still seems to be quite a bit of uncertainty as to how professionals, job seekers, employees, association members, alumni, career coaches, executive recruiters, employment agencies and employers can effectively use social networks to exchange ideas, collaborate on topics of concern, and promote goodwill.

In an attempt to demystify questions concerning the pragmatic usefulness of these modern day contemporary power tools, www.CareerConnected.com assembled a small team of analysts to research this topic and compile a series of articles that will shed some light on a few frequently asked questions. Common questions addressed in this series are: What exactly is social networking; Should I join a social network; Are there dangers; How is my personal information managed; Who are the top social networks; Which one is a fit for me; Can I use them to promote my business or to start a Blog; How can professional networking in one of these sites help to unlock career opportunities; How can personal marketing help me to expand my e-brand?